Trello: A How-To Guide
Trello is the ultimate checklist and organizational tool for any small business owner, especially dance studio owners. In a world where many of us are working on multiple projections, Trello makes communication and collaboration between users simple and effective, while also making it an enjoyable experience.
4 Features that Make Trello So Great are:
There are countless features available to you on Trello but one of the best parts about this tool is that you can easily customize it to fit your needs. In this post, we briefly explain the four main features of Trello so you can feel confident moving forward and put an end to the constant emails between you and your team.
Feature #1: BOARDS
The first main feature of Trello is where you will spend most of your time: boards. A board represents a project or a place to keep track of information. Whether you are launching a new website or creating social media posts, a Trello board is the best place to organize your tasks and collaborate with your team.
To create a Trello board:
- Click the “plus sign” in the upper right hand corner of your screen.
- Select “Create Board”.
- Name your board. (Day-to-Day tasks, Open Projects, Launch Plan, etc.)
- Choose to include your team or other individual users.
- Decide whether you want it to be visible to the public, your team, or private. (The only reason to make a board public is when you want to share it as a template.)
After you create your Trello board, you can invite users to collaborate on your board by clicking the “Invite” button. Users can be invited via email, username, or by sending them a link to the board.
Once you invite other users to the board, you will be able to add them to cards, mention them in comments and assign them to tasks.
Feature #2: LISTS
Once you have created a board, you are ready to use the second main feature of Trello: lists. A list keeps cards organized in their various stages of progress. The lists can simply act as a method of keeping track of information and ideas or they can be used to create a workflow where cards are moved across lists from start to finish.
There’s no limit to the number of lists you can add to a board, and they can be arranged however you like.
To create a list:
- Click the “Add Another List” button on your Trello board.
- Add as many lists as you like.
- Completely customize the names and amount of cards on each list.
An example of a simple list setup could be: “To Do”, “In Progress”, and “Completed”. In this scenario the cards would start in the “To Do” list and make their way to the “Completed” list.
It is important to keep in mind that Trello is designed to fit your unique needs and what matters most is creating a workflow that allows you and your team to accomplish your goals.
Feature #3: CARDS
Now, we can focus on the third main feature of Trello: cards. A card is a fundamental unit used to display tasks, ideas, or things that need to be remembered.
To use the “card” feature:
- Click “Add a Card” at the bottom of any list.
- Give your card a name such as “Write Blog”.
- Customize it and invite your team or a specific team member to collaborate on that card.
You can also add a checklist, due date, labels, attachments, and more.
There’s no limit to the number of cards you can add to a board.
You can also drag the cards to different lists on the board as you see fit or simply copy the card and paste it onto another list.
Feature #4: MENU
Finally, the last main feature of Trello is the main menu. You can find this by clicking the “show menu” button in the top right side of the screen.
In the Main Menu you can:
- control settings (change the background, search the board, add a description and more)
- manage your team
- see all the activity that is happening on your boards
- and much more.
Take some time to explore everything the menu has to offer.
Now that you know the basics of Trello, here is a video explaining how simple it is to use Trello with The Streamlined Studio team.
We make our content calendars super user-friendly and take all of the guesswork out of the equation!
It is still very customizable, but you will also be able to just plug and go as needed.
We know that being a successful studio owner takes a lot of time and effort. We want to make sure you aren’t spending that valuable time on simple tasks when it could be spent on doing what you do best; creating, managing, and leading your team!
Comment below and let us know how you’ll be utilizing Trello this week!
What to do next:
- Make a Trello board.
- Invite your team to the board.
- Create cards relevant to your goals on your board.
- Make a lists within your cards.
- Assign lists to specific team members.
- BREATHE!!! Get ready to accomplish your goals!
Your Biggest Fan,
CEO, The Streamlined Studio
P.S. There’s still time to join our exclusive membership to streamline your social media with access to our monthly post planner, canva templates, plug & play captions, live training and more! Click here to learn more. Enrollment closes June 1st!
Everything you need to market your studio on social media in our Exclusive Members Club.
- PLAN your entire month of social media posts in under 2 hours
- MARKET your online classes
- CONNECT with your community
- SEE more followers commenting on your content
- UNDERSTAND what works for your studio
- & GET NOTICED by new leads!